Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday - week in review

Good old "Aunt Flo" stopped in this past week, and that seems to have set me off course with food. I think I am back in the groove now. It didn't help that someone brought doughuts - lots and lots of them - to school for a b-day treat on Thursday. or was it Friday? I don't even remember. I did get a little science lesson of sorts: I made my oatmeal w/pb in the staff room and brought it back to my desk with a doughnut. I ate the dony first - mmmmmmmmmmmm! Knowing I needed "good" carbs and fiber I went on to eat the oatmeal - where it normally tastes like yummy candy to me, that day it tasted bland and sad. Donut full of fat and sugar: mmmmmm; healthy oatmeal: blaaaah. Lesson: don't combine the two...LOL...Nononononono - Lesson: when you give up foods that are unhealthy, like donuts, your taste buds adjust and learn to find other foods just as satisfying. If I had not eaten the donut, my mouth would not have known I was "missing" that mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm of fat and sugar. It was a little like dating and old flame. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but in reality, nothings changed. So I think it's safe to say - I'm off donuts. Bad news is that for the next 2.5 weeks there will be a steady stream of treats in the work room. We have an abundance of great cooks and generosity at my school. Blessed! we are.

Friday I saw Four Christmases. Not enough Reese Witherspoon, too much Vince Vaughn. Some LOL moments, but I wouldn't need to see it again. I did much shopping after the movie. Then I went in search of a meal. Silly me. Cracker Barrel was closest to the resort where Hugh was playing in the indoor waterpark, so i went there. SILLY! Cracker Barrel has NO healthy food - even their thingly disguised 600 calorie menu is not good. So I had a cup of soup and a meatloaf sandwich. It was just okay and not worth the calories.

Saturday I made very veggie beef stew. That was good! Mom and i went to Oak Ridge Boys concert. That was awesome - my momma had a good time. Sweet Hugh - remember he's 10 - asked: Did Grandma complain about anything? Ummm, yeah. It was loud, very loud. We could have heard it outside. But that was all. We at at Uno's, a pseudo-Chicago pizzaria. I had a flatbread pizza with chicken and lots of veggies. It was pretty tasty and healthy and filling. We splurged on pumpkin flan for dessert, splitting a little cake thingy. To Die For!

Yesterday I got back on oatmeal. I made meatloaf, pasta with squash, and carmelized onions. I have leftovers for a few days. Still I ate too much.

Scale this morning shows that I stayed roughly the same. I am thinking about using my weigh in pass at WW tomorrow, but I won't. Actually we are supposed to get 6-9" of snow from tonight to tomorrow with 1/4" of ice first...yaaaay - not. If that happens we won't go to WW. Either way, I need to know the truth of my stray eating. prayforsnowprayforsnowprayforsnow

I did get a huge chunk of Xmas shopping done yesterday. Got a bunch of stuff for my Hugh - 10 is a hard year to buy for, plus he has everything already! I really am nearly done. I just need some random here and there things. Have to get a Kohls gift cert for the addict niece - if I give her cash or a card for gas she'll spend it on cigarettes and caffeine drinks - I want her to have something nice to wear and be warm wearing, so she can hit some after Xmas sales and score some nice stuff. She's very tiny, so should have no problem.

Well, I"m out. Gotta dry my mop and head for work. It is 16* here this morning. Yesterday morning it was -8*, so 16 is a heat wave. Tonight I have a village gov't meeting to look forward to. Oh Joy! Another 2 hours of getting nothing done. (I roll my eyes HARD at that.)

Make it a great day people.

3 comments:

Meg said...

It sounds like you're doing well in the face of the toughest time of year for diets! Don't beat yourself up too much for a splurge, just get yourself right back on track.

-Meg

Anonymous said...

Boy, your description of donuts and oatmeal is right on. I have avoided donuts like the plague since starting all this, because they are so delicious, AND because I know they won't hold me more than 10 minutes!

Can't hardly even imagine the cold!

Anonymous said...

thats what got me finally away from living on bagels too. I ate about a dozen and was hungry moments after (true story. for later.).

you need to come visit me and bask in our heat. although this am it's in the 30's...