Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Feeling violated...going private tomorrow

Hi readers.

It was brought to my attention today that someone on theschool board at my school has found my blog. I know it's a public blog and all that, but I still feel violated. Maybe on some level I don't have the right to feel that way. After all, I am putting my life out there for the whole world to read, if they stumble on my ramblings.

But this is different. That person pointed out to my boss that I had posted something on one of these blog entries about an incident that occurred at school. I don't remember what it might be, and I haven't looked for it yet. I will. Soon. Anyway, this well-meaning board member brought it to the bosses attention because I mentioned a student, not by name nor did I identify my school, but perhaps others would be able to identify the party involved. Huh.

Well, it was addressed again last night in front of the entire school board. The last thing I really need is everyone and their various friends and relatives coming on here and finding out about my food addiction, my therapy, my dysfunctional home life, my drug habits...oh, ummm, no drug habit. ha ha.....ha............ha? Really. Not that I'm ashamed of anything in my life. It's just that my life is private. Period. I live out of the district for a reason. I don't want people in my business. My job is a job, not my life. My life is at home and in my community.

So why the heck am I blogging? I felt safe. Blogging feels therapeutic. I felt connected to a larger world than my little rural corner of ice-cold Wisconsin. Not anymore.

So - if you follow my blog, you now have to send me an email to let me know you would like privileges. You need to leave your email addy, a first name, and the name of your blog. I won't sell any of this info or use it to send you the soup recipe of the month or anything. I will add you. If I don't know you, I'll email back and ask for more information. If you can't do those things, you can't come into my blog.

I want to continue blogging, but I need to do it secure in the knowledge that it won't come to work with me and rear its ugly head. I'm sure you understand. Lawsuits are terrible things - like when people take information from blogs and engage in smear campaigns or gossip and stuff, ya know?

I will go totally private tomorrow during the day. I have some medical appointments and am using a sick day, so if I am posting during the day - it's because I am on my own time.

Make it a great day...or not. The choice is yours.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the violation but glad you're going to continue with the blog. I sent you an email.

Anonymous said...

How do I send you an email?

carla said...

MAN but I get it.
my personal blog was private as well.

I want in!

WWSuzi said...

Would definitely like to be able to keep up with your blog. Let me know how to e-mail and i will!!

Anonymous said...

Really, could people just get over themselves. You are such a good blog writer, very irksome that you couldn't share something as innocent as you have without some self-important board member making something out of nothing. I will email you--don't want to lose touch!

Jenn said...

Sorry to hear that they are giving you problems. I will be sending my email along.

Jenn

theantijared said...

I understand, I want in!! I am glad that you blog!

Conny said...

Sorry that happened to you. I enjoy your blog a lot, and wouldn't want to miss out. I read a few blogs for the same reason, it opens up my world a little. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

It's kind of like the same thing that happened to Petite Anglaise. Except with this being a school with children involved, they might have that argument. It's so interesting that with the unlimited scope of the world wide web, someone would come across your blog. I mean, there must be millions of blogs out there.