Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wednesday WI - waaaaaaaaaah.

First, meet Mr. Frisky Whiskers. This is the blackest cat I've ever seen. Mr. Frisk is very panther-like. He is a lap-loving guy, but he can't tolerate Mr. Murphy of the K9s, so he is usually in stealth mode. He has a 1/2 brother and sister living here - their mom was a stray who adopted us several years ago but who has passed on to kitty heaven. I love me some Mr. Whiskers.
Ya know - I am trying really hard to keep a positive attitude, but I don't know how much longer I can continue to do WW for $40/month when I AM doing the program and I AM exercising and still only lose .4 in a week... I passed on fast food all week and passed on pizza yesterday; I didn't eat out all week; I exercised every day okay 6/7. I ate more filling foods. I journaled my food and still. You gotta have my back on this one - WTF is going on that I can't muster a pound? (Just humor me this time people.)

Can I tell you this: I was at 3 pounds lost on my own scale on Sunday and Monday. Then my body stopped pooping. I'm serious. It seems like my body's reaction to the stress of having to weigh in is to hold on to waste. Figure that out. I am eating fiber - lots of veggies. Corn for Pete's sake. And drinking lots of water. Right now I feel like I am going to explode. I know *hanging head* too much information. But it's true. So I suppose if I have a real loss, it will still show next week - as long as my bowels are functioning.

I'm at my wits end. I'm a little tired of saying "a loss is a loss" when my lady friend who goes with me is 74 years old, can't exercise and still loses more than me. WTF? I know it isn't a race but it's starting to feel like another absolute failure.

Last night I saw the galfriend who had WLS in November and she is looking damned good. Doesn't appear to be suffering. I'm telling you...it crosses my mind to start exploring the options. I just can't fathom not being able to eat real food.

Sigh...I am trying to pull up my chins and go forth undaunted.

but I feel daunted.

17 comments:

Dina said...

It's the worst feeling in the world to not lose what you should. Just hang in there, and it will come off, probably next week.

Mr. Whiskers is cute stuff :)

Hanlie said...

I just love the kitties! How many do you have?

As for the weight loss, I can only encourage you to give it another week... The scale is not the only way to measure progress. If you're drinking water, eating on plan and exercising you ARE making progress! What we DO is more important than what see on the scale...

I hope you have a great week and that you will be rewarded generously on the scale next WI.

Linda said...

I am a crazy cat lady. I have 8 indoor kitties.

Shelley said...

It totally sucks when what you do all week doesn't show on the scale - we all have been there - I may or may not (ok, may) have thrown a bit of a hissy fit last May after a weigh in at my doctor's office.

It will show next week. Try mentally threatening the scale - sometimes that works for me!

P.S. Love your kitties - at one time I had four plus a dog and it was crazy! Can't imagine the fun you see with eight!

SL said...

Shoot. I've haven't figured out the rhyme or reason to my body reacting to what I do weight-loss wise. Sounds like you're having a run of those inexplicable reactions! The scale WILL catch up -- eventually.

Lost Half of Me said...

Please don't get discouraged. You are doing great, and if you keep doing what you are supposed to do with the food and exercise, you will lose. I know it can be frustrating, and while "a loss is a loss" doesn't always make us feel better...you'd have felt worse with no loss or a gain. Try to focus on the fact that the scale IS moving, maybe not as quickly as you want it to move...but every ounce you lose takes you a step closer to your goal!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda, at the risk of offending you or your readers, I think you are asking for concrete advice/suggestions, so I will offer some. If that is not what you meant, feel free to delete this!

I just feel strongly about this because I really have been through it.

So, first of all, I will say I never did like it when people (W.W.) said 'they were working the program, or get back on the program. It is not 'the program' that works. 'The program' is just a tool to help YOU change the way you eat for the rest of your life. 'The program' is a very solid tool that really should lead to regular weight loss. Just do the math. Using my old self as an example: If a point is 50-75 calories, then 28X50 is 1400, and 28X75 is 2100. Those were probably reasonable calorie counts for a person who weighed 255 to lose weight at a reasonable rate. You could check this out on a non-w.w. site. The points just try to reward you for eating high fiber, low fat.

There are a couple of reasons things might not be working for you.

1. Are you writing down EVERYTHING you eat? 3-4 non-accounted for points a day adds up to 21 points by the end of the week (1000-1500 calories.)

2. Are you measuring/weighing everything you eat? This is the place I fail the most. I just start inching up the portions, and stop weighing and measuring on purpose because I don't want to know the truth.

3. It is also possible that you are cheating yourself and not eating enough. And that can really backfire on you too. (This was never a problem for me!)

4. I did not own a scale while I was losing at w.w. There was something about the tension of not knowing that kept me on the straight and narrow until the next week's weigh in. There is even some research information that says that people that are losing do better with weekly weigh-ins, while maintainers do better with daily weigh-ins.

Weight Watchers is only good if it is helping you: giving you suggestions and teaching you about how to handle cravings, how to eat out healthily, etc. It is helpful if the accountability and encouragement of the members is helpful to you. If you are not getting any of this from your meeting, then maybe it is not the right fit for you.

Please please do not get the WLS without a really realistic look at it. Being a nurse (and someone who is paranoid of surgery) I don't trust it. I have heard WAY MORE horror stories than long-term success stories about it.

And on the other topics, THAT is a glorious cat! I really like cats. At one time I had 15 cats, all outdoors because they were semi-feral (someone abandoned the first one, and then they multiplied until I caught and neutered all of them!)

And the stress-constipation? Can I say I am so tired of it myself? Every week practically...have you tried metamucil? Wal-Mart has their own brand. I like it in diet 7-up--its like a really good orange soda! Well, like you said--too much information.

But I like you, Linda. And I know you can do it. So what if it takes longer? Think of the worst-case scenario--what if it takes 5 years? What percentage is that of the rest of your life? Not much, right? And really, you have not been doing this blog that long, but the difference between the first picture you posted of yourself, and your current work out picture is an extreme change.

NEVER GIVE UP, my friend!

Anonymous said...

You have to remember that this is a life long journey. You can't expect the scale to show up exactly what you did the 7 days on weigh in day, no matter how hard you try.

Just look at the big picture. Tell yourself, I won't think of my weight loss for three months. So if at the end of that three months you lost 15 pounds, you won't remember the .4, but that .4 got you to -15!

Hang in there!

new*me said...

i seriously think our age has something to do with it. I think our metabolisms are slower so we have to move more. I am adding back some evening exercise this week as well as my morning to see it that picks things up a bit :)

twinkelydots said...

First off if you haven't pooped in a few days you may want to look at 2 different things: fiber & water.

How are your fresh veggie & fruit intake? I love to have a crunchy apple first thing in the morning. It's full of fiber and very filling.

Are you drinking enough water. Water not coffee, sodas, etc. Water.

What are you getting from the WW meetings? Are you getting support, learning on why we eat how we eat, learning from others? If you quit will you still have that support?

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I will bore you with this again. I lost 123 lbs. on my own.I had been to WW 14 times in the past and usually lost some weight but I woke up one day and decided I HAD to lose weight or I could die too soon. I was not currently attending WW and I did not sign up. I knew the points of everything pretty much by heart (it's just a simpler way of counting calories anyway)and the important part was , I felt totally motivated and into it. So I just started eating right and walking. You must be honest about what you eat, I found, and also, if you really are serious about losing, don't eat any really fatty or high carb or high sugar EVEN IF YOU COUNT THE POINTS. Use your calories every day to get the most high-value foods into your body. Stuff with lots of vitamins and all that good stuff and lower calories, not carb-laden or high in animal fat. Pasta is for long distanc runners! Corn is not a vegetable. It is a carb. Chinese food from restaurants has lots of fat. Eat very simply. Find some meals that are low cal, high fiber that you really enjoy and eat them often. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day. It makes it easy and there's no temptation. Don't have butter or fatty snack foods in the house. Mandarins are good snacks. The small flavored 100 calorie yougurts are good snacks. Eat on the VERY LOW end of your range EVERY DAY for awhile. Keep up your good exercise habits and do EVEN MORE. If you earn extra points, DON'T EAT THEM. This is lost weight. Eat less food than you think you want. Learn to ENJOY a slight tinge of hunger at times. You're LOSING WEIGHT. Or grab a small yougurt to satisfy the urge.
You can lose weight without surgery, believe me. It is not a end-all to weight problems. People do this surgery and then at some point gain back weight because they have not figured out the real answer. And that answer is nothing magic. It's real and it's simple. LESS FOOD MUST GO IN. There are all these crazy diets and surgery out there and there's only one answer. EAT LESS FOOD AND MOVE YOUR BODY. YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT.
And you WILL poop if you eat some All-Bran Original,( which looks like little twigs and I think tastes great) and berries or any fruit and as much high fiber, low cal as you can fit in.
You can do it and once your head totally gets in the right place (that's the only real "secret")you can do it. The weight will fall off. And to get your head in the right place motivationally, remember, "I must stay healthy and alive for as long as possible, because I am good person who has so much to offer the world, and not only for myself, but to be here for my son and also to be an example for him so that he can be healthy also."

Linda said...

Thank you, friends.

theantijared said...

Hmmmmmmm, lets see what I can say.

Oh yeah, all I ever say is "A loss is a loss"

Remember, a .4 loss is better than a 6 pounds gain!

Anonymous said...

hows the poop oh catladyfriend?
are you all back to regulated or shall I fedex some natures scrub brush to your snowcovereddoorstep??

Brightcetera said...

Dear Daunted,
Ditto what Sheila said. And Debbie.
I'd listen to their advice for sure.
You can lose more weight than you are doing now. .4 is frustrating to see and unnecessary.

I don't believe that a point is a point.
I think our bodies do better with whole foods & process them differently.
These foods are getting me steady weight loss ~~
chicken, fish, cottage cheese, egg whites, turkey breast, plain yogurt with added fresh fruit, veggies (NOT corn) fresh fruits (not too many per day, maybe 3 tops) plain oatmeal. And protein shakes as meal replacements.
I eat 5-6 small meals per day. Keeps the furnace stoked and the cravings at bay.

Is it glamourous? No.
But I'm satisfied and losing every week.
Try eating a carb & protein at every meal. veggie & fruit carbs, less starchy carbs though. maybe only once or twice a day for those.
You're not going to get the weight loss you want by eating the foods you always have. It's reality.
Your exercise seems to be enough I'd say.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!
and BOO to weight loss surgery!!! It won't fix the WHY of your eating.
Be good to yourself, Linda!
We love you!
xoxo

Unknown said...

You've gotten some great advice here, so I'm not going to echo it. Keep fine tuning your program to your body's needs and you'll find your way.

I'm a cat person too. We bred Himalayans for a short time. Of course, the babies were so cute that we ended up keeping 4 of them. They are 12 & 13 now, but Mommy & Daddy kitty are no longer with us.

Oh, I almost forgot to "humor you" about the not-exactly-huge weight-loss this week. Here goes...I think the scale must be broken ;)

P.S. That constipation thing is a huge problem for me too. I even ended up in the ER one time over it. I was so miserable, it had been well over a week.

The only thing that works for me is supplemental fiber. And it only works if I drink it 3 times a day like clockwork. It takes a few days to establish itself in my system and it's not a perfect fix, but it helps so much.

The RDA of fiber and a gallon of water daily plus a proper diet have never been enough for me. Everybody's different, you just have to (again) fine tune it to your body.

You'll figure it out.

Tamzin said...

OMG...how did I miss a poo post! hahaha :)

I hear you !!!!!


gots to have my morning constitutional.