Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday in brief

Or not...

Some of you will remember my mentioning the bent/dent bargain grocery place out in the middle of nowhere near my work. I have taken to stopping there once a week to stock up on veggies. They have Green Giant Steamers which I think are God's gift to my healthy eating. I had one yesterday - Roasted Red Potatoes with Green Beans in Rosemary sauce. I needed protein with that, so I threw in a packet of Lemon-Tuna I happened to find in the cupboard. It was really good, very portable, and quick to throw together in the "home-ec" room at school.

I went back yesterday and found one that is broccoli and cauliflower with water chestnuts and an orange sauce. I threw some lean leftover pork roast in with that, and it was a meal. Again very efficient; also delicious. The WW points were pretty low. I won't buy these steamers in the regular store, because they are overpriced. I pay $1 to $1.50 for these at my bent/dent place.

If you can afford the full price, I recommend them highly. For me, the efficiency of microwaving these quick meals means that I can give more time to my evening workout. That's where I need to put my energy right now anyway.

And Sheila - on your "no fried chicken" I get what you are saying, but if I deprive myself and say "I can't have this or that" then I am going to start a personal rebellion and the inner-spoiled-brat will go off the deep end. One meal of fried chicken in a week of 21 healthy meals is not going to upset my apple cart. In fact, my brain is satisfied this week with that stray from the righteous path, and I have no desire to eat other fast or unhealthy food. I haven't had Chinese in a month. I LOVE Chines, but I don't love what it does to my progress. Indulging occasionally may not work for everyone, but it is working for me. I feel food calm for a change instead of all food-mental-stupid. I can live with that. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

Make it a great day people. Weekends almost here.

6 comments:

twinkelydots said...

We have a Grocery Outlet here. I've found all sorts of great bargains. The latest is frozen pacific ocean caught salmon for $4 a pound.

Since you're aware of your food choices it's just fine that you have a "free" meal.

In the past you may not have been aware of what you needed to do to get back on program after having a meal like that.

Lyn said...

If you can eat fried chicken and not go off the deep end, then it's a good fit into your plan! ALl of us have different trigger foods. Like, I can eat some dark chocolate and be fine. But if I ate fried chicken I would be clawing my way to the nearest Dairy Queen for onion rings. You sound like you know yourself well! WTG :)

Anonymous said...

I understand.

new*me said...

I think you totally have the right attitude about food.....it's a lifestyle, not a diet afterall :)

Anonymous said...

yepyepyep on the deprivation.

Ive eaten more PACKAGES of oreos in the name of NO!MO!OREOS!

have a great weekend, Linda

Hanlie said...

Glad to hear you're getting along well! Hope you have a great weekend!