Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Check in

Yesterday was a whirlwind of shopping for bargain groceries. I've taken to going to "bent and dent" places to score veggies and meat. Many items are past their "sell by" date, but so far I've not run across anything that's spoiled. I got a box of fish for $15 - I'm talking $50+ of fish here, people. There is nothing wrong with it either. After shopping we ran to visit my mother and eat some Subway. Ive resigned myself to eating the veggie sub because the meat is so full of sodium. It was good and filling. No chips. I can dig it.

We came home, put stuff away, geared up, and then went sledding. Picked up Hugh's buddy on the way out. I get a really good workout from the adrenalin rush of potentially crashing into trees, laughing so hard it hurts, and hiking as fast as I can back up the hill. My dogs get a workout. Hugh has fun. Can't beat it for all-around fun.

Made some comfort food last night. Used lots of veggies and leftover turkey then made dumplings - some flour, 1 egg, some butter. Very filling and comfort food for after sledding. Not something I'd do often, for sure. Today I'll be putting together my lunches for the week. It worked great for me to plan ahead, grab and go. And the calories are very well controlled. In fact, I may pack meat and veggies for my breakfasts this week. As much as I like my oatmeal and PB, yesterday i had turkey and steamed veggies instead. It was 4 points instead of 7, so it makes sense since I'm making good progress on the scale. I stocked up on bagged salad for quick salads, so I am ready. Gotta load that dishwasher so all my containers get cleaned up prior to "mission lunch."

Workouts this week were good. Friday I didn't do anything...well, that's not true - I shovelled some snow. No mojo, but most people take a rest day. Every other day this week I got in my 2 walks and some Wii Fit. I guess the weak spot for me is water. So my goal for this week is to drink plenty of it.

I've noticed that since I'm more committed to eating right and getting activity in I feel better in general. I have a lot more energy now than I did two weeks ago when I was struggling with stress, holiday food, stress, no activity, stress, and food.

Looking ahead: right now it's 2* here. We are supposed to get an arctic blast that will last all week. I think the high on Monday is to be 25; the high Tuesday is 3*; the high Thursday is 0*. I don't mind the snow. It's the bitter cold I hate hate hate. But I love living in Wisconsin, so I have to suck it up.

Well, people, make it a great day. If I can find the cable to download, I'll take a picture of my pretty pink boots. If not, you're gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

Ta ta for now!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Those food bargains sound great.
Congrats on a good week!

Anonymous said...

Wowza that's cooollddd weather you've got out there! It's 55 degrees here today (sorry) in California.

Anonymous said...

It was weird to see "Sheila" in the comments section when I read it and it wasn't me! (Yes, I know I'm not the only one) I'll be Sheila K. from now on.

Juice said...

You sound like you are doing great! Keep up the good work. :)