Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saturday smooooth sailing



I am a habitual breakfast skipper. Bad, I know. I've been doing so much better for many months and rarely miss brekkie, so what the heck? I got busy for one thing. And the hunger I felt did go away. I've cleaned, been working on laundry, done some Wii Fit. Now i have to have breakfast, no matter the time. So I'm making a smoothie:


I just don't feel like cooking today, so here it is. I had to clean out a drawer in my search for the flax seed, but that's a good thing. Here is the end result:


It tastes good, I guess. I'm just not a smoothie fan. Some people love love lovethem and go ape over them - me? I'd rather chew and enjoy my calories. This was just for a change. I used 1 Cup strawberried, 1 cup plain ff yogurt, 1 cup mango/guava juice, 2 tbsp ground flax seed, 1 heaping scoop weigh protein powder. Blend. Not being an expert on these things, I don't even know if this was a "healthy" concoction. Seems like it oughta be - got fruit, dairy, protein, fiber. Sounds like health food to me.
Yesterday was such a joy! For dinner I made broccoli -Birds Eye steamers - which is about 4 cups. That's a lot, I know. I also made 8 oz of baked haddock. I ate all the broccoli and could only eat half the fish. What??? I know! I didn't even have my nightly bowl of rice krispies. Maybe because I ate at 8:00 pm? OOps. And I did 30 minutes walking on top of a biggest loser strength workout in addition to 30 minutes of Wii fit. What a good day.
This morning I found another friend on Facebook. One of my best friends from my college days in La Crosse. Dammit people, it's such a weekend of blessings I'm having. And that treasure box of clothes - some of them are a little big! Most fit just right. Whooohoooo.
I'm chatting with my pal from La Crosse, so I'm outta here. Got smoothie feedback? Hit me up.
PS - just don't tell me to try bananas in my smoothie - I'm allergic...unless you WANT my throat to close completely.

6 comments:

Hanlie said...

I'm all about green smoothies these days - 60% fruit and 40% green leafy veg. LOVE them!

It must be tough being allergic to bananas... they're a staple in my house! I get the same reaction from sulphur dioxide, which is used in lots of food, including dried fruit and - wait for it! - wine! Fortunately it's a cummulative thing with me, so I've cut out processed food completely and make a lifestyle out of detoxification. The odd glass of wine doesn't send me to the emergency room...

Glad you're having a joyful weekend!

Brightcetera said...

I'm a smoothie fan myself. And bananas too. Sorry ;)
I am so happy you're having such a great weekend!
And Wow! you're really getting in the exercise! It must be helping you feel so good!

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds like a good smoothie. My favorite is peanut butter chocolate banana (chocolate protein powder). In fact, I just cut up 2 bananas and stuck it in the freezer. Try any fruits you like and mix it all up. Yum!

Just now trying to catch up on blogs. It's been a crazy busy week.

Anonymous said...

and how much do I adore you even added the flax seed!

whats on tap today? more wii fit?
some playing?

We saw the highbrowNOT film Paul Blart yesterday.

I'd say it's a must skip.

Deborah said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I'm a retired teacher so we have a little something in common.

I have never tried a smoothy (don't have a blender) but I think I would rather have something chewy too. My favotite breakfast (in the microwave now heating) is my homemade chili. I keep that in the freezer for just in case situations like now. Otherwise I hate breakfast foods. I don't like sweets in the morning and bacon or sausage is just too fattening. Soooo, I have lunch type foods in the mornings. I was never a breakfast person either and really had a hard time making myself eat it when I started on this journey. Maybe that's your problem too. So give soup or a sandwich a try and see if that helps.

djmadmike said...

i love smoothies but be careful those calories can add up quick!
www.blackfitnessblog.com