Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday - a little quality time...

Someone's in the kitchen with Mom, again! It's cooking with Hugh.


I actually cooked tonight and got Hugh in on the act. He begged me for no-bake cheesecake a couple of weeks ago, so I finally pinned him down to make it. He did a good job. Here he presses the crust into the pan. He's gonna make a good chef and/or well-trained hubby some day
I have leftover turkey from last week, and I needed to use it. I got inventive - for around here, anyway - and made turkey enchiladas.


This is 1/2 a pepper, 1/2 an onion sauteed in olive oil. 1 can diced tomatoes, 24 ounces of diced cooked turkey breast meat. 2 tbsp taco seasoning. 1/2 cup taco sauce. Simmered this all together and served on flour tortillas sprinkled with a little Mexican blend cheese. Steamers corn went on the side. This tasted good. Hugh really liked it. Score another hit for mom!


We had to shut the kitties in the basement - banish is more like it. They are crazy glutton cats and wont' leave me alone when I'm cooking. Today, I introduce you to Scott and Stella. Scott is a stray dumped off down the block when he was a kitten. He is red-flame Himalayan and tabby cat. He weighs about 20 pounds. He's is a big, gentle boy. Quite a character. Stella joined us just after Hugh was born. I was taking care of her and her siblings in early winter and she got sick. I took her in, saying I would throw her back out when she was better. 10 years later - here we are. She is a hugger and very pretty, but a pest. Tune in later this week to meet more of the fur kids.


Weigh in is tomorrow. I am eager to see how I do. It's been a good week for a change. We can only do weigh in because Hugh's winter program is tomorrow night. Some kind of Bug's Life theme. Hugh will portray an army ant. He's too shy for a speaking role. Maybe if I can get back into local showbiz, he will catch on to how fun it really is.
I didn't sleep well last night. Farting Dog - Kailey of the k9 units, not a Native Amer. bed partner - woke me up needing to take care of business around midnight. EWWWWWWWWW and PUUUUUUUUUU! Lord, it was ugly. Then I woke up because someone knocked out the power cord and my cpap machine went of as did the TV. toss turn toss turn. Ugh. As much as I want to watch Paranormal State at 9:00, I'm afraid I need to hit the hay.
Hope you had a great day and have a great Tuesday.


6 comments:

theantijared said...

You son needs to come work at my restaurant! I need good help :)

Anonymous said...

Love your son learning to cook. And love all the kitties, especially the fat one!

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOH.
methinks I want cooking with hugh as a guest post!

Ill email you.

Anonymous said...

He looks like a chef already to me!

Good luck on the weigh in too!

new*me said...

some of the best times in my kitchen are with my kiddos ;) Way to parent the little man!

gizmogirl said...

Beautiful cats! And I love how you're getting Hugh involved in cooking.