Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Check in

Morning, everyone.

I didn't grade a single paper yesterday. Stupid me - now I'm in a pickle. I have have have to do all of them today. I am a super-procrastinator. Ugh. Grading essays is the part of my job I like least. And writing is the thing all my students need the most. I'll quit snivelling and get to it soon.

Yesterday was a good day. I put a turkey breast - yes, Sheila love, more meat - in the slow cooker. YUM! I had turkey and my experimental squash ravioli for supper last night. And some Bird's Eye (I think) Digestive Health vegetables. Later in the evening I had Fiber One carmel delight - try it! It's good stuff. It was a really good food day for me.

Points: 32 (yay, I was under!)
Activity: 30 minutes Denise Austin DVD, 20 minutes Wii Fit. I did the 10 minute hula hooping which cracks me up, makes me sweat, and leaves me pooped. I am determined to best my best number each time which forces me to work hard to accomplish that. My legs are killing me still from doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Strong 30 minutes the day before - whodathunkit? I need to do it again today so I can work those muscles again. I'm rather skeptical about Ms. Leslie, but I may still become a true convert. I did like that workout.

Why so much cooking lately? Well, I always feel pressed for time to do everything that needs doing. If I can cook things ahead and prepare from leftovers, that is a ton of time saved. We are talking 21 meals here, people. Imagine the variety I can achieve having a pork roast (2 lb) a beef roast (1.5 lb) and a turkey breast cooked and ready to go. All I have to do is find a veggie or other side, heat and go. This evening when I get home from retrieving that Hugh, I will prepare 5 lunches to take to school this week. No floundering and scrounging. I can weigh and measure, cover, and stack. Then each morning I can grab and go. I even bought some bagged pre-fab salad to put into containers. Grab and go!

Experiment ravioli: The wonton wrappers worked, but I wouldn't need to make this again. The squash is fabulous cooked with finely chopped onion and garlic. Then I added ricotta cheese to cream it up. Delicious on its own. I also had it over pasta. It was great. I should go get a couple more squash so I can have this on hand. It's yummy and healthy and feels like comfort food. My son loves eggrolls, so I will use the remaining wrappers for that. I played around with fillings and got him to eat cauliflower and sweet potato because he thought they were just cabbage and carrot. And instead of frying the eggrolls, I sprayed with olive oil spray and baked them. He liked that a lot.

Okay, I'm out. I have to refill the coffee and head for the couch with my papers. I will do at least 30 minutes walking today and some kind of Wii workout as well. Maybe just yoga today. I can't wait for spring. Over night we got freezing rain. Everything is glazed like a fresh donut this morning.

Make it a great Sunday.

linda

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, you crack me up. Only a foodie would comment that ice looks like a fresh glazed donut. And only a foodie would completely get that illustration. Besides the fact that it immediately made me want a donut.

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that Leslie Sansone dvd.

And I think your idea about cooking ahead to be prepared is brilliant--see, you don't procrastinate about everything!

Love the Fiber One bars--Choc. chip and apple streudel are my favs.

Ron said...

Congrats on a sucessful day yesterday with your food and exercise. Keep it up!

Deb said...

How do you like your Wii Fit? I am considering getting one to help me get some "fun fitness" in. Does it really give you a workout?

Anonymous said...

Linda,
You are so great in the fact that you are always doing some sort of work out activity! When my eating goes wrong I tend to give up on all fronts..you are really inspirational in that and I admire your stick-to-it-tiveness!
You have whetted my appetite and should now give out that recipe for the ravioli filling.
Your writing is so good; have you been nominated for any of those blogger's awards?
P.S.Turkey is better for you than beef so I'll be quiet this time.

Anonymous said...

i didn't mean to be anonymous.

Anonymous said...

I love the Great Ravoli Experiment (wanna come by this friday for my Great Challah Making Experiment with the Toddler?)

here's to a great week, Linda.
youve kicked it off perfectly.

(now to get MY ass to the gym...)

Unknown said...

Hi Linda. I have been doing the cook a lot for the whole week thing too. I think it is pretty fun. Good going on the Wii Fit. I still really really want one!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday sounds like it was a success on the food and exercise front. Good for you!

Make it a great week.

Juice said...

I cook in big batches too! I find it very comforting to always have some homemade go-to food in my freezer. :)