Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 5 and a new Strength program

Met with the trainer today, and she came up with a new strength circuit for me. Actually, I got 2. ONe I will do this week; the other is for next week, then I'll switch back. Some of the things she had me try were no goes. I think she had loftier notions than I did, but that's okay. Optimism is awesome.

I'm not going to belabor the fact that I now have a new challenge before me. I won't go into detail. I will just say that I can already feel that I worked muscles today that weren't getting worked in the original program. I hurt, and I love it.

It was an okay day with food. I ate a great breakfast. Then I had an apple and 2 mozzarella sticks before the gym. I didn't realize I'd be at the gym for like 3 hours...so I was ill prepared and ended up eating cheddar chex mix. Have to calculate the cals on that great idea. Doesn't matter, I guess. Tomorrow is a new day.

I"m on a tomatoes kick. Maybe it's an Italian food kick. IDK - Ijust know it's healthy and I like it. Another thing I am loving is onions. But not raw - I cook 'em. Actually I am carmelizing them (I think) by slicing them thinly and sauteeing for a long time in olive oil and just a sprinkle of sugar. YUM.

Today's insight - I hate looking at me in the mirror at the gym, especially when I am sitting on a machine and my already broad backside spreads out - GAWD. I hate the reality of how I look. I was much more comfy with what I just plain considered "normal" and fine with me...Yes, my private beach is on the River Denial. Really looking is giving me more incentive to change what I see.

Mizfit wrote about quitting - I got to about 10 minutes on the treadmill and wanted to quit. I stuck it out for the full 30. There is a significant difference between my spoiled brat wanting to quit the treadmill today and not truly enjoying the workout. I DO enjoy the feeling of accomplishment after the fact, but I have to do a ton of positive self-therapy talk to make myself stay on board the treadmill for the full time. I do get the difference. I was doing Jillian Michael's DVD workouts, and I hated that - hated, hated, hated , and I quit. But I didn't give up entirely. That's the difference between the quitting kinds.

New me ain't no quitter!

9 comments:

Meg said...

I'm with you 110% on the hating of the gym mirrors. I always look awful and silly doing exercises.

*cheers* to you for sticking it out on the treadmill. I'm still trying to learn when it's me being whiny and childish saying "But I don't WANNA" and when my body is actually telling me to stop.

Congrats on the new strength program! Sounds like your making progress fast! (and just warning you, that might offset weight loss now...that whole muscle weighing a lot more than fat...)

Jenn said...

Good for you.

Jenn

carla said...

Totally agree and KUDOS to you.

I was thinking the scenario of
I'VE BEEN DOING THE 'MILL FOR A MONTH AND FRICKIN DETEST IT.
NOW, WHICH OTHER CARDO MACHINE SHOULD I GIVE A TRY?
There IS ONE I will at least not LOATHE ;)

Miz.

Anonymous said...

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! So impressive how hard you are working out!

Yes, my private beach is on the River Denial.--that is very funny--OL!

Big Girl said...

Hi Linda, I just found your blog and am looking forward to reading about your journey. Good luck to you!

Brianna said...

Good for you for sticking it out with the treadmill - the feeling you got when you finished (accomplishment!) is the feeling that lets you know it isn't time to quit that workout. :)

Hooray for you! Those are HUGE steps you are taking and you're bound to be rewarded for them (not just sore muscles!). :)

Stephanie said...

Food sounds delicious! :)

Random facts:
By carmelizing the onions you're hugely upping their antioxidants.
If you cook/heat the tomatoes first, and eat them with a bit of healthy fat (olive oil, avocado, nuts, chocolate...) you (again) up the antioxidants (heat) and your body absorbs them better (fat)!

Good for staying on the treadmill!! :)

carla said...

checking in on you....

fattygetsfit said...

for me, going to the gym and working out is like pulling rotten teeth.

at first, it sucks but you feel so much better when it's done!

KEEP UP THE HARD WORK!!!