Thursday, September 4, 2008

Thursday Kindness

Arrived at school this morning to the news that one of my colleagues passed away after a very long battle with colon cancer.

Mary Walton embodied kindness. She was not my son's first grade teacher, but she was right across the hall and always looked out for him. She recognized that he is a tender-tale, and she always made a point of speaking to him in the hall. After he left our school, she continued to ask about him, and I know she was sincere. She was beautiful - tall, willowy, blond. Always dressed immaculately and her hair was always just so. She radiated warmth and kindness. Those children who were fortunate enough to work with Mary were given a gift. Some day I hope they think of her and remember her warmth. I can only aspire to be as classy and lovely as Mrs. Mary Walton. Today we lost one of the good one, and even though I didn't work closely with her, I will feel a little bit empty in her absence.

I don't do funerals. I think that losing my grandma, 2 uncles, my dad, and my grandma all in about 5 year's time was too much for me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive. Maybe it's because I prefer to grieve in my own way and that way is privately. Some folks go to the "wake" and make food for the family and offer to sit at the house and go to the funeral and make food for the lunch and stay to clean up after. Me - not so much. I just don't handle other people's sadness and crying and loss well.

Mike: with all do respect, I hope you stop looking at my blog. I write 99% of my blog at home or at guest computers. This is my personal life which has nothing to do with you. NOTHING. I don't do drugs. I rarely drink. I don't date. I don't gamble. I don't hang out with the kids. I just go about my humble existence. Certainly, you are entitled to look, but I hope that you are made of higher moral fiber and have better ethical radar than that. Certainly you have bigger fish to fry than reading my blog. In addition, should you continue to read - know that no one among my "real-life" friends knows that I blog. I don't discuss most of the contents here with people from school. If I hear rumors about me there, I'll know where they come from. Slander. Libel. Defamation. I'm sure you know these words. Misuse of "power", an interesting notion.

Hugh has his first big game Saturday. Tomorrow he is to wear his jersey to school. Tomorrow night is a tailgate party at the high school with the varsity football team. We will go to the "big game" after. All the little kids will make a tunnel for the big guys to run through. At half-time the little guys get introduced and get to walk on the field. Talk about HOOPLA! It's all part of the tradition and creating rituals and history. . . and stirring up testosterone. (*snort*)

I'm out. Not sure I'll make it to bed soon. I have breakfast bars in the oven, laundry going to get the football pants clean, and dishes to wash. I hear the couch calling my name.

Fridays are for forgiveness. Wow. It's a good thing these blogs can be long...

ta ta for now

Linda

PS - thank you mizfit for the "smackupsidethehead" regarding my profile. I hope my revisions meet with your approval. Seriously. It was KIND of you to point out my bad thinking.

5 comments:

carla said...

Oh good FDW

I always assume you (yep. You specifically ;) not the royal or plural) will take my comments in the spirit of caring which they're intended.

Life is too short (as evidenced by your post) to be unkind to ourselves.

Miz.

Jenn said...

Love the new discription much better. It really tells us who you are!

Sorry about your loss. The good ones are too few these days.

How is your eating going now that your back in school? I went over cals just a little yesterday. No biggy though.

Jenn

Betty said...

I don´t know if I´ve commented on you blog yet, but I started reading it regularly. It´s great. I identify with you on the funeral thing. I don´t go either, unless it´s someone really close.
My condolences to your loss!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT.

love.


loving it.

:)

Crabby McSlacker said...

So sorry to hear about Mary Walton--she sounds like a wonderful person.

I find funerals difficult too and agree that everyone needs to grieve in their own way.

A lovely blog tribute seems like an excellent way to honor someone's memory. Thanks for introducing us to her.