Monday, July 20, 2009

My new friend...

Who buys seeds from the seed rack because the veggies on the front are pretty?

me.

Swiss Chard: lovely color, foreign to my palate. But no longer.

I will have to get a picture for you so you can appreciate how pretty it is. It grows in both deep pink and white with leafy greens. You cut off what you want, leaving a bit behind in the middle so that it can grow again - yeah! It comes back!

Having done a bit of culinary research, I snipped the greens from the stems after washing well under running water. I put the stems in a baking dish on foil, hit it with olive oil and roasted it. I burned some of it the first time, so back to the garden i went for another bunch. This 2nd time was a success. With about 5 minutes left to roast (I guessed on time) I threw in the greens and hit again with olive oil....done.

People say that it has a "strong" taste. I think the stems taste like beets. The greens taste like spinach. For me - two green thumbs up! I can't wait to have it again. Whooot whooot.

Union meeting tonight. Please say prayers for patience and wisdom.

TTFN

5 comments:

Miz said...

many prayers were coming your way from TX.

what was the word last night?

debby said...

Hmmm...swiss chard--my childhood nemesis! Maybe I should give it another try--I like spinach and I like beets.

I'm praying for you too, LInda.

Ron said...

How did the meeting go?

She-Fit said...

Swiss Chard? Never heard of it... I'm going to have to go find some and try it now. Can't wait to see the pic of it.

Linda said...

My computer crashed at home. Have a loaner but ...long story. it'll be a while before I'm up and going again.