Hi friends.
I was at the school board meeting last night when it was announced that my job has been reduced to 50%. Frankly, I didn't think they would really do it.
I wish I was one of those people who in hard times just can't eat. LOL...that's not me at all. However, today seems to be changing that. Food - ish.
I have much exploring to do.
thank you for kind words of support, I truly appreciate them.
If any of you reading this are from my school - I would just suggest that you really get involved in the decisions the board is making. Ask good questions. Is it as bad as they are saying? What did teachers offer in negotiations that could have prevented this? What is the fund balance? Why not charge fees? Why were some given raises instead of freezes? How long can the school survive if things are this bad now and experts predict a 5 year recovery? Will your school even be there to support the community?
Sure, I want a full time job, but it's not about that. The quality of education suffers when choices are eliminated and class sizes are increased. Check the research. The impact of the changes being made may not be felt for a while, but when they come I hope you can say - "Yes, I can accept this." Because undoing some things just isn't possible. These were hard decision come by with a great deal of planning and thought. But are they the best decisions for your students and the students of your community?
I wonder.
I'm going to go clean my house - power cleaning time! Yeah.
TTFN
An Expensive Egg
1 day ago

9 comments:
crap.
please don't eat this sh*t.
{{HUGS}}
Sucks. Hope you find something else soon. Good on you telling people to get involved. Nothing will change if no one speaks up.
Right? I know.
I'm sorry. You WILL be ok, but this has got to be scary. Hugs to you, Linda.
I'm so sorry to hear your news. I was thinking your district was going through a drill (as school districts in my fair state are). I'm so sorry it came to be. Hang in there! I wish I had a great answer/job for you, but the best I can do is to offer my cyber support!
Im with fitcerta and its what I emailed you as well.
sometimes F*CK needs to be said.
fuck.
My thoughts are with you on the reduction of work.
However, I think your post was so well written and perfect. I worked as a teacher a while back and I've often said that people just 'trust' that the right decisions are being made for our children, the future of America. And many times those decisions I feel are not in the best interest of our children's education.
That said, I have no kids...but I've made it super clear to my husband that my children WILL NOT be attending public school because I don't trust the decisions that are made and the policies that are in place.
So sorry - way to clean instead of eat!
Sending hugs your way!
Just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it so far.
So sorry about the job situation; my daughter is an art teacher here in FL and had the exact thing happen to her. Very depressing and disheartening!
Post a Comment