I am going to La Crosse, WI, home of the world's largest 6-pack of beer, to visit a woman I lived with when I was in grad. school. I have not seen her in 10 years and she found me thru facebook. We have chatted a few times, and now I finally will go visit. I'm pretty excited and a little bit trepidatious - how's that for a fancy word?
When I lived with her, I had a lovely room in the basement. Her 16-year-old also had a room down there. Christi was EVIL. The one thing I'll never forget is the time Deb was thinking of going on a cruise. Christi threw a fit because, "I'm 16 years old already and I've never been on a cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise." I was stunned, shocked, flabbergasted. Her reality was different from mine. I was 26 and had just gotten my first car. Yah - we didn't always get along, but I loved Deb.
While in LaX I will be seeing, I hope, my drug-rehab niece. She is working at Wendy's. She just got out of an alcohol-toxic relationship and is semi-homeless but staying with people from work for now.Shannon continues to dabble in drinking and probably some drugs, but she is working - a good sign. If I see her, I will offer to buy her some groceries. I don't like giving her cash. I may offer gas for her car. I don't want to enable her to buy drugs or booze. We'll see.
I'll be heading to the north side to find the Biggest Loser 30-day diet book at Barnes and Noble. I may try Walmart and Shopko first. Then I'm going to Woodman's for produce and other necessaries for the menu. I've never tried following someone else's menu before, so this could be interesting.
Shiela asked what I can't find here at reasonable prices: seafood/fish, "fancy" lettuces beyond iceberg and romaine (costly), quinoa, whole wheat products, fresh fruit. Very 'spensive, and I am frugal. Hopefully by the time I hit Woodmans the Saturday chaos will be long over.
It stays daylight so much longer now that I will plan to walk my dogs this evening for a good long walk. I've been slacking again and will probably still have a gain this next week.
Whatever!
Make it a great day, people.
I Bit the Bullet
3 days ago



3 comments:
Enjoy your day!!
Hope you had a good time!
I'm loving that it's staying light later. Spring can't come fast enough.
Sugggestion for salad rather than expensive lettuces: cabbage. I use it all the time for salads instead of lettuce. Cut it very thin, against the grain (long strips, like angel hair pasta). It's tasty, lots of texture, and good for you being a cruciferous vegetable. It also lasts a long time in the frig.
Post a Comment