Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday afternoon recipe review

I bought myself the Weight Watchers "Takeout Tonight" cookbook. On Hugh's request I made the Super Nachos.

The recipe calls for ground turkey, black beans, onions, garlic, 2 tbsp taco seasoning, a cup of taco sauce all browned, sauteed mixed together. Then you broil to toast 6 corn tortillas. Dress the tortillas with meat and a bit of cheese and broil again briefly for melting. Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro, and chopped green onion. I went with the jalepenos as well. Simple!

I really liked it. I would certainly make this again. I have leftover meat, so I can! I'm not a corn tortilla fan - something about the texture gags me. However, having toasted them first, I didn't notice that graininess I don't like.

Hugh didn't like it at all. He saw black beans and instantly decided it must be gross. He flicked and picked black beans out of his portion. I think next time I will puree the beans first with the stick blender - he won't know the difference. I used half ground sirloin and half turkey -he doesn't know that because he "doesn't like ground turkey." Oh well. He ate it.

While I was in the process of browning meat, I browned enought to make stuffed green pepper soup. I looked for a recipe on WW site, but I didn't like what I saw. So I looked at other recipes for guidance. I'll figure out the points later.

Well, I'm at 2:10 pm and have a little less than half my points left for today. Hugh is in charge of making chicken Picata - also from the WW Takeout Tonight book. I'll let you know how that goes over later.

Ta taaaaaaaaaaa!

Oh - I went to the gym for 10 minutes treadmill; 40 minutes of circuit training; 30 minutes on the racing bike doing intervals. My trainer was there and commented that my form on my crunches is awesome. She advised me to make some of my exercises more challenging. I just know that if I can continue with the gym and get the WW going for me I will have great success. I just have to make it all click.

later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Im married to hugh :)

my husband is the exact same way...needs to spy ONE THING HE THINKS HE DOESNT LIKE and wont even take a taste...

hope the rest of your day was great, L!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Linda. What I found was that I would follow a w.w. recipe, and then learn from it how to reduce fat/calories in a recipe and then use that to make or adjust my own favorite recipes. You are such a good cook that I know you will be able to do this too. Have you tried those La Tortilla Factory gigantic 1 point tortillas? They are not corn.

I don't like beans either, but know they are good for me so one time I mashed them with a potato masher for a recipe. It worked great!

Linda said...

I did not know they made "1-point tortillas"! I'm pretty rural so not sure I'd find them around here, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

MIZFIT - I checked with Hugh, and he says he isn't married. He was pretty sure. :D LOL

new*me said...

sounds yummy! My kids like beans now! The twins went through about 6 months where they wouldn't touch a bean ;) I puree them and put them in soups a lot.