Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No ellipticals on the path of least resistance...

Did you catch theBiggest Loser season premier last night?

I did. I always watch and get motivated watching these fat folks put it out there on national television in an effort to become healthy human beings. Last night was another night to cram as much as possible into a very short time. I made chili for supper - no beans for Hugh, and then he didn't want it, so I should have just put the beans in. I also made him sit at the counter to do his math homework while I peeled apples to make some more applesauce. Talk about tedious. I had intended to do some kind of workout between 5 and 7 pm, but I just didn't get there. So I finally plopped down on the couch to watch BL. My little voice was nagging nagging nagging me about a workout, but I kept telling it to shut up. I was intent on sitting there for the whole 2 hours to get to know the new BL people. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the path of least resistance...

Well, that didn't last long. Since starting at the gym in May I've done some kind of exercise most days. I just don't feel right if I don't do something. I had walked the dogs for about 15 minutes in the morning, and I was trying to tell myself that was enough. But the elliptical across the room - a device I love to hate - kept staring at me. And staring. And staring. So I continued to sit, glancing at it occasionally. That beast. That death trap. That contraption sprung from Hell. Ahhhh, the path of least resistance...

Then I got to thinking. That was my mistake. *lol* How many seasons of BL had I sat and watched and related to and identified with those obese people about to step off the path of least resistance and into a battle for their lives? How many times did I sit on my butt and identify? Answer: however many seasons there have been, that's how many. And here I sat at the same weight again. Ugh. I like my path of least resistance. I'm comfortable there. Fat, but accustomed to that after all these years. There is no elliptical on that path. No gym. No treadmill. No walking shoes. Just a couch or bed with the imprint of my butt and body on the path of least resistance. And frankly, I'm tired of it. Ah, the path of least resistance.

So, I got off my *path,* found some shoes and socks, put them on and did 30 minutes on the elliptical. I even made myself do some HIIT. And I sweat like a big dog. I didn't use the elliptical handles - I'm just not coordinated enough. But I got my legs going and I did my elliptical thing at the same time as I watched Biggest Loser. And I felt good about that. And then I watched "The Cleaner" with Benjamin - way too hot - Bratt. I was afraid I would not be able to fall asleep - my excuse for not exercising late - but I was out before the weather report at 10:15. This morning I was up at the alarm and out with the dogs by 5:30. We did the long walk - 25 minutes worth. And I feel good about that.

What's ringing in my head is an article I read in Redbook. Some woman had lost about half her self by exercising 30 minutes a day and eating wisely. Well, heck, if that's all it takes, I can do that. But being the "overachiever" I sometimes am, I am going to strive for more than 30 minutes a day. Today will be those 30 minutes plus 40 minutes of circuit training tonight AND at least 20 minutes of bike or treadmill. Tomorrow is 45 minutes of HIIT.

So why do you find yourself on the path of least resistance? Is it because there is an elliptical across the path? What are you going to do to get off that path today?

4 comments:

Amy S. said...

I truly heart BL, it is the most motivating show ever. Those couples have such a huge responsibility if you think about it...they have the burden of keeping all of us motivated.

Way to go for getting on the evil elliptical and putting in the effort last night. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

you are SO MOTIVATED.

and I dont really recall it ever waning since I met you (when *was* that?).

I sorely need crosstraining.

sorely.

but remain on the path of least resistance and claim TIME as my excuse.

time and at HOME I can watch people like your beloved BB on TV while I work out----in a class setting?

no such option.

M.

new*me said...

Yeah for you!!!! There is certainly nothing wrong with watching tv but if you can do something good for your body at the same time than that really rocks :) I watched it too.....the stories at the beginning made me cry. I felt so emotional last night. Hubby was asleep on the couch so he didn't witness my choke fest ;)

Anonymous said...

This was a great post. You motivated me to do some extra exercise yesterday.