Oh my goodness, look at me with my very own blog.
I am Linda. I have been overweight since puberty slammed into me at around 11 years old, and I've been struggling and fighting and living with it forever. At 43 years old, I am actually waging what I hope is the final major war with obesity. I stand about 5'5" and weigh 290. My highest weight was about 320, but I'm guessing. My lowest was around 280 and that was several years ago.
I am a single mom of a 9 year old boy. Been single since day one with random support and interference from the other parental unit. That relationship has been a frequent stressor for me over the last 9 years. But when I look at my sweet boy, it's all worth it. My other kids are fur kids - 2 dogs and 7 cats. I know...
I am a public school teacher. I teach high school English at a very small school so I have to teach everything from English 9 to junior college prep to creative writing, poetry, Shakespeare, War Lit, American novels. It's a lot to know. There are times when I think I would be better off at a different school or doing something else, but with my masters and 11 years experience it would be hard to get a job in a different school cuz I'm too expensive (more than a new grad or one with just a BS.) I also can't imagine what I would do instead.
I do a lot of reading of blogs. I enjoy reading other people's insights. Strangely enough, I sometimes envy the blogging ability of these folks. I teach English. I am a good writer. What's up with me? The thing is that I have lived much of my life driven by fear. I haven't blogged until now because I fear that I have nothing to contribute that will help anyone else. Maybe it's a middle child thing - I only ever got negative attention growing up. Ironically I am the most successful of my siblings.
Last spring I realized fully just how fear has been running me. I hate that! So it is something I have been working on. I joined a fitness place and workout as often as possible - strength at least 2 times a week and cardio most other days. Unfortunately this last month has been a little crazy, and I've done some backsliding. However, come August things are going to get much much better. And with August being only a week away - there ya go. I was really afraid of joining the gym. At nearly 300 pounds, I feared people staring and laughing at me. I feared I wouldn't be able to do it. The great news is that I can do it. For three months I've been doing it. I'm making great progress. I LOVE strength training. I like the treadmill. I've met some great people. No one has laughed at me even once - except when I was getting instruction for using the treadmill and later almost lost my footing and went down big...but that was day 1 (and it was funny.)
Fear does run me a lot: yesterday I had to pick up my son and knew there was road construction. I went way out of my way on this trip because I was afraid to go right up and into the construction to see what was possible with the roads. On the return trip, my sweet boy at my side, I drove right up to the end of the line. I had to do a crazy turn around, but I found a quicker more direct route to get around the construction. How much time would I have saved (and gas and mileage) if I'd had the nerve to do that in the first place? Ugh! Fear! Ugh!
I just had my 25-year high school reunion. It was so much fun! People talked to me. People were nice to me. People wanted to know what was new. People told me I look great. One guy told me I look better now than in high school. I could have taken that as a slam, but I knew what he meant. (Hey, we was poor folks!) What a nice weekend. Oh, that's where my blog name came from: I look so good where some folks maybe don't because FAT DON'T WRINKLE! Let the wrinkles come over time as I get the weight off, but for now I'll take the positive side.
Let me leave you with my newest favorite thing to eat:
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
1 green pepper cut up fine
1/2 medium red onion or about 10 red onions cut up fine
2 big cloves crushed garlic
1/4 cup cider vinegar
"some" olive oil
salt, pepper, red pepper to taste
chopped cilantro - how much depends on how you like the taste of it
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon sugar (just to take the edge off, I like me some sweet edge)
(I cook by guess and by gosh, so be brave here)
Open canned stuff and poor in colander. Rinse. Throw everything into a bowl or storage container, stir, chill.
That's it. Okay, you can eat this with tortilla chips. I found some really good white meat chicken chunks on sale at the store last week and added chicken to this and ate it like a salad. High in fiber, low in fat, but highly gaseous! It's delicious and filling and healthy.
Welcome to my world where fat don't wrinkle, and I do have something to say.
An Expensive Egg
1 day ago

22 comments:
Congrats on the new blog! I found you through Mizfit. I love that you called your blog "Fat Don't Wrinkle." I was cracking up at that phrase, so when I saw you had started a blog, I had to come check it out.
Don't worry about writing something that will help other people. You will help other people even without trying. I'm not a writer and only started my blog so the people whose blogs I read would know a little about me, but now I have some readers and they seem to enjoy what I have to say, and it's the best free therapy you can get.
Congrats on your weight loss so far and good luck on your journey.
I do a similar recipe and eat it on romaine lettuce...yummy.
Yay, my friend!
Finally!
Thank YOU for letting us tag along for the journey.
xo xo,
Miz.
Good for you for starting your own blog! It's terrific therapy, and, judging from the comments I've seen you leave other places, you have plenty to say!
Be warned - it's addictive!
And congrats on your weight loss so far - sounds to me like you are taking positive steps to conquer your fears.
Love the name of your blog! (wish I had thought of it!!)
Hi there! Welcome to blogland!
I found you through the comments at Escape from Obesity.
I love the name of your blog, too. It's perfect.
Looking forward to reading more of what you have to say.
more please :)
Welcome! I came here via MizFit. Love the catchphrase!
And the treadmill thing - most of us have almost wiped out on that darn thing.
Also found you through Mizfit... I too teach English (I'm moving from the hs to a community college this year, after 17 years...a HUGE cut in pay...so I get what you're saying about being expensive).
Good luck on the blogging and your fitness journey. Write for yourself and others will enjoy and learn.
Oh and, if you haven't read *Such a Pretty Fat* by Jen Lancaster yet, you should. It's about her weight-loss, dieting, fitness journey. She's completely smart-ass funny and your writing style reminds me of hers a bit (We English teachers can't help but make book recommends, can we).
Hi there I found you on MizFit as well. Good luck with your blog. Mine is all over the place right now!
Another who found you through MizFit. Another who loves your blog's title.
Just have to say -- about your WTF comment on MizFit -- I have been known to turn WTF into "What the flank steak?" or "What the frankenheimer?" I have no idea where they came from, but they stuck!
GOOD LUCK with your blog. It will become an addiction...I started my blog about two months ago and I am so happy I did! I'll be checking you out!
WELCOME TO BLOGGYLAND, LINDA! It really is a good source of encouragement and new ideas. Sounds like you have made a great start. I know you can do it. I did it at 50 years old!
I like your writing. Hope to hear more from you.
Mizfit is da bomb. She sent me here too. I also teach English, but this year to high school continuation students. Should be fun.
Gonna be watchin' your blog girl!
Linda
Super cool tagline amiga! Welcome to blogland!
Hey fellow English teacher! I teach college freshmen, but also with a Master's degree (I'm certain you get paid far more than I do).
I'm already in bloglove with you, so you better keep posting.
And hey--there's no such thing as backsliding when you're changing your lifestyle. I firmly believe in just taking it one day at a time--if I don't do something active today, I'll do it tomorrow. Being healthy & fit is way more fun than dieting in that way. :)
I'm SO going to try that recipe (and I cook the same way--just ask my hubby how he feels when I say "this was an experiment" to know how good I am at it, though).
Wow! Congrats on the new blog (and for winning the prize from MizFit!). I look forward to reading more!
Best wishes with your journey. You are doing awesome!
Yay for starting a blog! Welcome to the addicting world of bloggity bloggin'.
Well done on joining the blogosphere - I'm sure you'll find blogging about your journey as inspirational as the rest of us. It does keep you honest knowing there are all these people all around the world following your progress!
found you through MizFit as well. I started my own blog 2 years ago to humiliate myself. Write for YOU!
Best of luck
You have great insights. And I'm 44. I love when bloggers are "my" age!
Way to go on the new blog. I was a little scared to start at first, too, but like others have said, it's addicting- and very therapeutic.
Keep up your journey- you are giving yourself a gift.
About the WTF, my sister-in-law got me on a kick of saying "What the weird?" Funny stuff.
Hello, I found you through MizFit and wanted to welcome you to blogland. I am a bit of a newbie myself (have only been blogging for a month) but I have already made friends here and am really enjoying the chance to express myself. I am not a writer I am just a liver.
Wow that came out weird! Anyhow, I understand where you are coming from as I have been struggling with weight and insecurities all of my life. I have always believed in my heart that I was not, and would never be, good enough, strong enough, smart enough, pretty enough, thin enough, etc. The past couple of years I have been really working on accepting me for who I am and understanding that I don't have to be good enough for other people as long as I am good enough for me. Also at my biggest I was 330 lbs, at my smallest adult weight I was 230 lbs and right now I am at about 280lbs. My fear of what people would think and say about me has been keeping me from really embracing fitness until now. I still struggle with it sometimes but for the most part when I am out there walking/jogging people just ignore me and go about there buisness (unless I have my dog with me, everyone just loves Butter).
Ok I didn't mean to blog in your comments, I just wanted to say hi.
Happy Training,
Love Jenn
ok, you're going to have to start paying MizFit some royalties if one more person says they found your blog thru hers...but i cannot lie! love your blog, and don't worry about saying anything that will mean something to someone else - if you write what means something to you, then surely it WILL speak to someone else. that's how us humans work, ya know. plus, it's cheap therapy, and the convenience factor cannot be beat. looking forward to reading more!!
welcome to the blogging world....you are hilarious!
Post a Comment